HK Pathways

Study Permit & Stream A Pathway


Having post-secondary education in Canada would in general increase one’s chance to immigrate to Canada as a skilled worker. For instance, 3 years of post-secondary study can gain an applicant 30 additional points in the Express Entry scoring system. Graduates would normally need to get a post-graduation work permit (PGWP), gain some skilled work experience, and then apply for immigration. 

And there are Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP) programs that target recent graduates of respective provinces. It provides an alternate immigration path that leads to permanent residency. Getting a qualified job offer may also be required for many of those PNP programs. 

We do not see studying in Canada as an immigration program but for HK people, it could comfortably lead to permanent residency with Stream A - one of the Permanent residence pathways for Hong Kong residents. 


加拿大救生艇計劃 Stream A Pathway

Stream A is a pathway that allows Hong Kong residents who have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution in the last three years to apply for permanent residence in Canada. The deadline to apply for PR under the Stream A pathway is August 31, 2026. There are no age restrictions or requirements on work experience to apply through Stream A.


To be eligible for this stream, you will need to:

  • Hold a valid HKSAR passport or BNO passport
  • Be physically present in Canada at the time of application and when you are granted permanent residency
  • Have valid temporary resident status in Canada
  • Intend to live in any province in Canada other than Quebec


Study program requirements:

  • Have graduated from a post-secondary designated learning institution in Canada in the 3 years before you apply with one of the following:
    • a diploma program of at least 2 years in length
    • a degree (associate / bachelor’s / masters / doctoral)
    • a graduate / post-graduate diploma / certificate for a program of at least 1 year in length*

 * A diploma or degree must have been completed in the 5 years before the start of the post-graduate diploma or certificate program


The program of study can be in any field, and at least 50% of the program must be completed while physically present in Canada (in person or online).


Language requirements:

Applicants must also meet the minimum language ability requirements of CLB 5, which is equivalent to IELTS - General Training of 4 in Reading and 5 in all other categories.


For further enquiries, please contact us at 2868 3780 or email 


【Read More加拿大救生艇計劃Open Work Permit 10年內畢業可申請! 

【Read More加拿大取消 Stream B 五年內大專畢業要求 | 工作滿一年可申請 PR

【Read More】更新!加拿大救生艇計劃 Stream B 申請條件概覽

【Read More】一文看清加拿大永久居民(PR)和加拿大公民(Citizen)的區別 | PR Card 續期申請條件 | 如何申請加拿大公民身份

Read More】 加拿大學生簽證新動向 2023


Official links on Hong Kong Pathways (Stream A):
Work in Canada after you graduate: Who can apply

Permanent residence pathways for Hong Kong residents




The information provided above is for general private reference purposes only and is not intended to be a comprehensive explanation of Canadian immigration laws or a substitute for professional legal advice. Rothe International Canada is not responsible for any losses caused by the use of the above information.

If you have any specific questions, you are welcome to contact Rothe International Canada directly at (852) 2868-3780 or fill in our online enquiry form.