Other Services

PR Renunciation


You can give up your PR status voluntarily. There are multiple situations in which why one might wish to renounce their permanent resident status.

Common reasons include:

  • You only want to visit Canada and you know you have not met the residency obligations because you have been outside of Canada for a long period of time, and you would like to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to Canada
  • You intend to submit a new PR application
  • Tax reasons
  • Employment requirements, such as you want to accept a diplomatic or official position with a foreign government
  • You want to obtain citizenship or permanent resident status in another country and that country requires you to renounce permanent resident status in Canada


What Happens After I Voluntarily Renounce My Canadian PR Status? Can I Apply for PR After Renouncing?

After voluntarily renouncing your permanent resident status, you will permanently change your status in Canada as of the day your application is approved by an officer. You will no longer be a permanent resident of Canada and may only try to get it back by submitting another PR application, providing that you meet all the requirements.


Will Renouncing My Permanent Resident Status Affect My Family Members?

If you decide to give up your PR status, your family members do not need to renounce their permanent resident status. They can remain Canadian permanent residents if their visas are unconditional. If there are no conditions attached to their visas, they may also apply to renew their PR cards or apply for Canadian citizenship if they have met the residency requirements.


My Request to Renounce My PR Status Has Been Granted. Can I Still Remain in Canada?

If you are inside Canada and your renunciation application has been approved, you will be considered a temporary resident (visitor) in Canada. As a visitor, you will be allowed to remain in Canada for six months unless being informed otherwise. If you would like to remain in Canada longer than six months, you must apply to extend your stay in Canada. Note that as a visitor, you will not be allowed to work or study without authorization from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).


Applying For an eTA or TRV to Visit Canada

If you want to visit Canada after renouncing your PR status, you may require a temporary resident visa (TRV) or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) based on your country of citizenship or the purpose of your visit. You should apply for a TRV or an eTA after you receive the approval of your voluntary renunciation.

If you have renounced your Canadian PR status and intend to visit Canada with your HKSAR passport, you will need to apply for an eTA.


Need Professional Assistance in Applying to Renounce Your Canadian PR Status and/or Applying for an eTA?

If you would like to obtain professional assistance in applying to renounce your Canadian PR status and/or applying for an eTA to Canada, speak with our professional team today. We have represented many candidates in the past and would be delighted to assist you.

For further enquiries, please contact us at 2868 3780 or email inquiry@rothe.com.hk



The information provided above is for general private reference purposes only and is not intended to be a comprehensive explanation of Canadian immigration laws or a substitute for professional legal advice. Rothe International Canada is not responsible for any losses caused by the use of the above information.

If you have any specific questions, you are welcome to contact Rothe International Canada directly at (852) 2868-3780 or fill in our online enquiry form.